Sewing Cafe

Patterns, Tutorials and Works in Progress from the Sewing Studio of Lynne Williams

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

1912 Project Blouse #1000 Muslin Complete

I took a half day off of work, which is to say cape sewing, to finish the muslin for blouse #1000.
The last time we looked at the muslin it still needed its sleeves, front waistband and collar.


Now it has all of its appropriate parts.....attached even - lol
You can just see a bit of the front waistband.  I cut 2 pieces 1-3/4" x 12-3/4" to create the waistband and waistband facing.  This creates a finished waist measurement of 24".
Take one of your waistband strips and press to the wrong side along one long edge and both short edges 3/8".  This will become your waistband facing.
Sew the waistband onto the shirt front gathering between dots. 
Repeat with the facing piece, sandwiching the blouse between the two and being careful to leave the facing free from the seam allowance edge on both short ends.
Press your seam allowance towards the waistband.
You can now sew your side seams.
Once you have attached the peplum you can finish the waistband by hand stitching the facing in place to cover the seam allowance.


I love how in this angle you can really see the appropriate silhouette for the time period. A little more bust and you would have less drooping at the front waist. Remember my dress form is 2" smaller at the bust than the pattern measures.
  Notice though how this right(seen on the left) sleeve drags a bit to the back of the blouse?


This sleeve hangs correctly because the peak of the shoulder is siting in the correct place and the gathering is distributed correctly.  
You can replicate this by:
 Placing a notch on the front bodice 3/4" forward of the shoulder seam, that will mark the actual shoulder.  Remember how the shoulder seam favors the back of the blouse?
Now place a corresponding notch on the sleeve cap in the center of the tuck lines.  Doing this will make setting in the sleeve much easier and prettier.

The cuff does not quite meet at the center to expose the tuck detail, but some gathering is required to make the sleeve fit the cuff.  
The total amount of gathering is 1-1/2"  I placed dots (to gather between) on my sleeve pattern 1-1/2" on either side of center for a total of 3".  Stitch a gathering line between these dots and adjust to fit your cuff.


The pattern allows for a 1/2" finished placket and you might want to add a little more to this depending on the size of your buttons. 
The peplum allows for a little more fullness over the seat than my dress form has, but should accommodate a "real" seat quite nicely, maybe even a bit of a bustle.


I finished the collar by using a narrow piece of self bias as a facing strip.  
From the looks of my collar though it appears as if I may have one side on back to front.....I thought I double checked that, but that extra bit of lift there on the left side lets me know something is not quite right.


Boy you can really see it in this shot.  
The collar fits in beautifully though if you leave a 1/2" space at the center front.

Now its time to adapt a muslin for contemporary wear....But before I can do that I  need to rig a roman shade, alter a bridesmaids dress and cut out another Bat Cape.

What will you be sewing today?

2 comments:

  1. It's beautiful!!! I love the peplum, and while this is not a style I'd look good in, I admire it.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with Lynne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...