Sewing Cafe

Patterns, Tutorials and Works in Progress from the Sewing Studio of Lynne Williams

Friday, November 26, 2010

Mad Men: Muslin


Today while completing my muslin I watched the film for which you see the trailer above.  It's a visual feast which is a large criteria for studio viewing and my especial favorites have period costuming, so this fired on several layers.  It was based on the book by the same name and if you are looking to be inspired, I promise this film will deliver.

This has nothing to do whatsoever with my Mad Men sew along, wrong period of course, I suppose I should be watching some Mat Helm, James Bond, or how about something fabulous with Audrey Hepburn in it.  Seems a little more appropriate for the occasion but as usual I digress.

My muslin which is what we are all here for, went from ....what was I thinking? to...Okay this could actually be fabulous.  It still needs some tweaking at the hips, where it bumps out a little more sharply then I do, but all in all its complete.  The fabric hanging off to the side is the yellow silk I plan to use.

Other then my personal fit alterations the only thing I changed was the shape of the neckline and the pocket placement.  My weight is at my hip/thighs and my waist is a touch on the short side while my rise is a touch on the long side.  Placing the pockets about 1" higher helps to balance this out as well as make my legs look long....okay longish.
This dress demands a belt, and I love that they are back on trend because belts work for me.  I found this vintage buckle in my stash, not what I was initially looking for, but how sweet is this? I think it just requires some black velvet ribbon.  What do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with Lynne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...