Sewing Cafe

Patterns, Tutorials and Works in Progress from the Sewing Studio of Lynne Williams

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Teen Fashion Camp










As many of you know I just completed a week of teaching to young girls at Nicolets summer camp. I taught a Fashion Design class where the girls designed a "line" of clothing which had to include a wrap skirt. We spent 2 sessions learning how to develop a sportswear line, and how to sketch using Croquie's to produce proffessional finished design sketches. On the 3rd day we all began sewing our skirts. The girls were introduced to the machines, grainlines, proper pinning and cutting. They learned how to do a roll hem, straight seams with finishing, darts, and a simple ribbon waistband. Although they had 3 days to sew the sessions were only 2 hrs long! There were 2 sessions a day with 2 groups of girls, 12 girls in each group.

I am so thrilled that first of all we had 24 girls total who were interested in sewing!

On top of that the majority of the girls finished their skirts! I am so proud of their results! My only regret is that I could not spend more individual time with girls teaching, it was fairly chaotic what with only 2 adults, 12 teens, and 6 machines. Hopefully we will see some of them at Sewing Cafe as a number of them showed a geniune interest in learningmore.
I do regret that I did not get more pictures of the completed skirts, but here are some of them along with some of the sketches.
Enjoy and I look forward to reading your comments.

I would like to extend a very special thanks to Peggy Jordan and Sandra Bethke for assisting, as well as the Oneida 4-H who supplied the sewing machines. Additionally many of the girls were interested in entering their skirts at the Oneida County Fair, so please look for them when you attend in August.






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...